Even if you have been hosting for many years, it is useful to be reminded of Airbnb’s basic hosting standards, especially given its warning that consistently falling below them exposes hosts to “penalties.”
“To help create comfortable, reliable stays for guests, we ask all hosts to meet five basic requirements for each listing:
- Provide essential amenities: This includes toilet paper, soap, linens/sheets, and at least one towel and pillow per booked guest
- Be responsive: Maintain a high response rate by replying to booking inquiries and reservation requests within 24 hours.
- Accept reservation requests: Make guests feel welcome by accepting requests whenever you’re available.
- Avoid cancellations: We take cancellations seriously and ask all hosts to avoid cancelling on guests–their travel plans depend on it.
- Maintain a high overall rating: Guests like to know they can expect a consistent level of quality, no matter where they book.
Go to Progress to see how you’re doing in each of these areas.
Your performance is tracked against the average level of performance for all hosts on Airbnb. Listings that consistently fall below the average could be subject to penalties.”